Wednesday, December 23, 2015

pit stop

Today I drove 700 kilometers, mostly without stopping because I was worried about Auckland holiday traffic, plus even fast roads in New Zealand slow to a crawl when they go through towns.
So I was excited to realize the Hundertwasser toilets were on my route. You may know Hundertwasserhaus from Vienna.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundertwasserhaus#/media/File%3AHundertwasser_04.jpg

The toilets were Hundertwasser's last project, completed shortly before his death in 2000. 
They're made entirely of recycled materials. 
I first stopped by in May 2001; the guys I was traveling with knew about them. I hadn't realized he'd lived in New Zealand though. 
They're still pretty wonderful with lots of whimsical touches. 
Popular too. 
Plus the library next door has free wifi. 
Check them out if you happen to be passing through. 







No comments:

Post a Comment