Saturday, December 19, 2015

uptown girl

What a difference a day makes! 
I'm staying on the 22nd floor of a luxury hotel with a giant bathtub and gianter bed, 
eating a set menu including warm oburo tofu made to order at a fab funky sushi bar 
(Tatsushi, shades of beloved Minako)
listening to live music, working down my $50/day food and drink tab at the bar. The Kahurangi Sauvignon Blanc from Nelson was gorgeous. When I returned the next day, the bartender had another Sauv Blanc for me to try. 
24-hour room service. Late checkout. Valet parking. Bath sheets. Spa robes. Who am I? 
I got a screaming deal. After a sale and Orbucks from my airline ticket, I paid only $141 for two nights. With the food and drink credit, they're practically paying me to stay here. 
It's the weekend before Christmas so downtown is a little deserted, like it was when Susan and I stayed here five years ago. There are a few new office buildings. Lots of cranes, no longer for bungy jumping. 

Squeezing in a day of museums and holiday shopping and flat whites before heading out of town. I'll write about the Great War Memorial separately. It does a fine job of bringing war history and propaganda to life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment